Securities Enforcement and Litigation
Arnold & Porter Kaye Scholer has one of the leading securities enforcement and litigation practices in this complex area of law. Our team is comprised of former members of the US Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) staff, US Department of Justice (DOJ) attorneys, assistant US attorneys, and other lawyers who have litigated precedent-setting securities matters. Together, we carry forward a tradition of excellence in securities enforcement and litigation representation that dates to the founding of our practice by one of the authors of the seminal SEC antifraud rule, Rule 10b-5.
Our clients include public companies and their subsidiaries, accounting firms, broker-dealers, investment banks, underwriters, investment advisers, hedge funds, private equity firms, venture capital firms, mutual funds, and law firms. We also regularly represent special committees and audit committees, directors, officers, partners, principals, and employees of such entities. Our experience includes:
- investigations by the SEC, DOJ, other federal agencies, Congress, self-regulatory organizations (including the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA)), and state regulators;
- securities class actions, shareholder derivative litigation, professional liability lawsuits, cases involving mergers and acquisitions, and other civil and criminal litigation;
- arbitrations involving customer claims and employee disputes in the securities industry;
- internal investigations; and
- proceedings before professional licensing and regulatory authorities, including the Public Company Accounting Oversight Board (PCAOB).
The matters we handle involve claims or charges of fraud, breach of fiduciary duty, mismanagement and negligence, and/or securities or regulatory violations. These issues arise out of allegations involving:
- improper financial reporting or other public disclosures;
- accounting errors or irregularities;
- inadequate internal controls;
- Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA) violations;
- insider trading;
- stock manipulation; and/or
- violations of broker-dealer, investment adviser, and investment company regulations.
We also provide counseling on disclosure, corporate compliance and governance, D&O insurance, crisis management, and securities and market matters.
A number of our partners have been recognized as leading lawyers in the fields of securities enforcement, securities litigation, and complex business litigation.
- Accountants' Liability
- Broker-Dealer Matters
- Crisis Management
- Derivatives and Commodities
- Hedge Funds and Private Equity
- Insider Trading
- Internal Investigations
- Mergers and Acquisitions and Corporate Fiduciary Litigation
- Securities Class Actions and Shareholder Derivative Litigation
- Securities Enforcement Investigations
- US Foreign Corrupt Practices Act and Global Anti-Corruption