Anton Ware represents private sector companies, sovereign states, and government-owned entities in international arbitration, litigation, and investigation matters, with a special focus on the Asia Pacific region. Mr. Ware is proficient in written and spoken Mandarin Chinese.
In his international arbitration practice, Mr. Ware regularly acts for clients in high-stakes commercial contract and other business disputes under a variety of international arbitration rules. Mr. Ware also represents and advises both investors and sovereign states in investment treaty arbitration. In recognizing him as a "future leader" in the field of international arbitration, Who's Who Legal noted that Mr. Ware "left clients 'most impressed by his skills as a presenter and cross examiner during the hearings', and he was repeatedly commended for his client service."
In his litigation practice, Mr. Ware represents clients in complex disputes involving claims of unfair business practices, alleged breaches of fiduciary duties, violation of intellectual property rights, and various business torts. Mr. Ware also represents clients in court cases involving a variety of arbitration issues.
Mr. Ware regularly speaks on international arbitration topics and previously taught international commercial arbitration at UC Hastings College of the Law. While attending Columbia Law School, Mr. Ware was an Editor of the Columbia Law Review and a judicial extern to the Honorable Sonia Sotomayor of the US Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit.
- Turkish energy company in successfully obtaining arbitration award of nearly $800 million in an investor-state arbitration against the Islamic Republic of Pakistan (ICSID).
- The Republic of the Philippines in an investor-state arbitration involving a multibillion claim by Shell Philippines Exploration B.V. (ICSID).
- Asian shipbuilder in dispute involving the sale and charter of a deep sea drill ship (ad hoc, London).
- Latin American railroad concessionaire in high-stakes contract dispute (ICC).
- Leading mobile device manufacturer in emergency arbitrator and main arbitration proceedings under intellectual property license agreement (ICC, Maui).
- The Republic of Korea in an investor-state arbitration involving a claim of $4.7 billion filed by the Lone Star Funds (ICSID).
- German equipment manufacturer in breach of contract and intellectual property dispute with California solar panel producer (ICC, London).
- US private equity fund in breach of contract and fraud dispute with former co-investors in Korean credit card joint venture (ICC, Singapore).
- Private equity arm of major US financial institution in four arbitration proceedings relating to corporate control of Brasil Telecom (ICC, Paris).
- US private equity fund in breach of contract and trademark infringement dispute with former joint venture partner in Chinese shopping mall chain (ICC, Hong Kong).
- JD, Columbia Law School, 2005, Harlan Fiske Stone Scholar
- MA, International Affairs, Johns Hopkins School of Advanced International Studies, 2002, with distinction
- BA, International Relations, Johns Hopkins University, 2001, Phi Beta Kappa
- New York
Member, London Court of International Arbitration (LCIA), North American Users' Council
Adjunct Professor, UC Hastings College of the Law
Regional Ambassador, HK45 United States
Member, Advisory Board, The Institute for Transnational Arbitration (ITA)
Member, Young Arbitrators Initiative Committee, The Institute for Transnational Arbitration (ITA)
- Member, Young International Centre for Settlement of Investment Disputes (ICSID)
Member, Young International Council for Commercial Arbitration (ICCA)
Member, Young Arbitrators Forum, International Chamber of Commerce (ICC)
- Member, International Centre for Dispute Resolution (ICDR) Young & International
Member, State Bar of California, International Law Section
Member, Bar Association of San Francisco