Jeffrey Smith heads the firm's National Security practice, which regularly counsels both US and foreign companies on a wide range of national security issues. His practice includes advising major defense and aerospace companies and representing major media organizations and individuals with respect to First Amendment issues and unauthorized disclosures of classified information. Mr. Smith has frequently represented prominent individuals in congressional investigations and federal prosecutions. He also represents major universities on national security issues.
Mr. Smith is a former General Counsel of the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA). He has also served as General Counsel of the Senate Armed Services Committee and was Senator Sam Nunn's designee to the Senate Select Committee on Intelligence and the Iran/Contra Committee. Prior to working for the Senate, he was the Assistant Legal Adviser for Law Enforcement and Intelligence at the State Department. Earlier, as an Army Judge Advocate General officer, he served as the Pentagon's lawyer for the Panama Canal negotiations.
In 1992 and 1993, Mr. Smith served as the chief of the Clinton Transition Team at the US Department of Defense. He also chaired the Joint Security Commission established in 1993 by Secretary of Defense Les Aspin and CIA Director James Woolsey to examine the security procedures of the defense and intelligence communities and the companies that contract with them. In addition, he served on the congressionally mandated Commission on Roles and Missions of the Armed Services.
- Major US defense and aerospace companies on a wide range of national security and government contracts issues, including transactions, internal investigations, congressional investigations, export controls, and sensitive national security issues.
- Major European defense and aerospace companies with respect to mergers and acquisitions, contracting with the US government, relationships with the US government, export controls, issues of foreign ownership, and the performance of highly classified contracts.
- In-Q-Tel, the company established by the CIA to acquire high-technology solutions for the US intelligence community.
- Finmeccanica SpA in its acquisitions of DRS Technologies, Inc.
- Major media associations and the Newspaper Association of America on "leaks" of classified information and First Amendment issues.
- Former senior officials in matters related to national security, including: Publication of manuscripts, negotiation of film rights, and donation of papers. Clients include former Secretary of State Henry A. Kissinger, former Secretary of Defense the late Robert S. McNamara, General David Petraues and several authors, including former Senator Bob Graham and former CIA senior officer John O'Connell.
- BAE Systems in its acquisitions of ArmorHoldings, United Defense, and DigitalNet.
- DFI in its acquisition by Detica Group plc.
- Ambassador L. Paul Bremer with respect to his service as Administrator of the Coalition Provisional Authority in Iraq, including testimony at Congressional hearings.
- Mark Boal, the screenwriter for, among other films, "Zero Dark Thirty."
- Several former senior government officials and current and former members of Congress in sensitive investigations, including criminal investigations and prosecutions, involving national security.
- Martha Stewart in the House of Energy and Commerce Committee investigation of alleged insider trading.
- Several leading universities on public policy and national security matters.
- JD, University of Michigan Law School, 1971
- BS, Civil Engineering, United States Military Academy, 1966
- District of Columbia
- General Counsel, Central Intelligence Agency
- Chief of the Clinton Transition Team, US Department of Defense
- General Counsel, Senate Armed Services Committee
- Assistant Legal Adviser, US Department of State
- Chair, Joint Security Commission
- Senator Sam Nunn's designee to the Iran/Contra Committee and the Senate Select Committee on Intelligence
- Army Judge Advocate General Officer, served as Pentagon's lawyer for the Panama Canal negotiations
- Infantry Officer and JAGC Officer, US Army
- Board of Directors, LGS Innovations
- Former Member, Board of Trustees, The Aerospace Corporation
- Counsel to the Board of Directors, CIA Officer’s Memorial Foundation
- Member, Department of State Advisory Committee on International Law
- General Counsel, The Goldwater Foundation
- Member, Council on Foreign Relations
- Former Member, Markle Foundation Taskforce on National Security in the Information Age