Jeremy D. Peterson helps clients respond to enforcement actions, carry out internal investigations, and achieve regulatory compliance. He assists clients with crisis response and in sensitive matters involving potential self-disclosure. He has handled matters involving the Clean Air Act, the Clean Water Act, CERCLA, RCRA, the Lacey Act, and other statutes.
Prior to joining the firm, Mr. Peterson was an Honors Trial Attorney for the US Department of Justice, Environmental Crimes Section. Mr. Peterson has tried numerous cases to final verdict. He led the brief-writing team on the largest Clean Air Act criminal trial to date and has argued before the US Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit. In 2007 and 2008, Mr. Peterson served as Special Assistant US Attorney in the District of Columbia US Attorney's Office, where he obtained DC's first conviction for solicitation of murder.
Mr. Peterson was Managing Editor of the Harvard International Law Journal. Prior to law school, he served as Director of Operations and Management Planning for the New York City Parks Department.
- Vehicle manufacturer in investigation into compliance with Clean Air Act mobile source emissions and reporting requirements.
- Wood importer targeted for criminal and civil enforcement under the Lacey Act.
- Fortune 100 company in over-US$400 million cleanup of former nuclear fuel manufacturing facility.
- Chemical manufacturer in third-party litigation to recover costs of river cleanup under Great Lakes Legacy Act.
- Mining company in negotiations regarding natural resource damage claims by state and federal trustees.
- Chemical manufacturer in internal investigation into potential criminal violations of federal environmental laws.
- Railroad in cleanup of yard contaminated by fuel spill.
- Appliance manufacturer in successful resolution of ENERGY STAR disqualification proceedings.
- Recycler seeking to achieve compliance with import restrictions.
- JD, Harvard Law School, 2006, cum laude
- BA, Swarthmore College, 1999, with honors
- District of Columbia
- New York
- United States Court of Appeals, Third Circuit, The Honorable Ruggero J. Aldisert
Vice Chair, American Bar Association, Environmental Enforcement and Crimes Committee
- Heyman Fellowship Recipient