Carolyn Pearce's practice encompasses a broad range of business disputes and complex commercial litigation, including false claims litigation, consumer products litigation, and class actions. Ms. Pearce recently played an integral role in successfully defending a waste, recycling, and composting company in two consecutive jury trials: the first involved more than 150 alleged false claims brought under the California False Claims Act, and the second involved claims of alleged "whistleblower" retaliation. She represents a major consumer products company and global convenience store franchisor in defending against consumer fraud class actions and individual actions brought in both state and federal court.
Prior to joining the firm, Ms. Pearce clerked for the Honorable William L. Osteen, Jr. of the United States District Court for the Middle District of North Carolina. She also served as a volunteer attorney in the Office of the Federal Public Defender in Greensboro, North Carolina, where she worked on behalf of a defendant in a high-profile federal death penalty case. At the University of North Carolina School of Law, Ms. Pearce served as the Executive Comments Editor for the North Carolina Law Review.
- Recology as trial counsel in six-week jury trial involving claims of alleged whistleblower retaliation. Result: complete defense verdict.
- Adobe in complete dismissal of breach of contract and fraud claims brought by an individual.
- Private equity firm American Capital, Ltd. in complete dismissal of securities and fraud claims brought by former employees of a portfolio company.
- JD, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, 2008, with honors
- BA, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, 2004, with distinction
- District of Columbia
- US District Court, Middle District of North Carolina, The Honorable William L. Osteen, Jr.