Hilton Mervis heads the Commercial Dispute Resolution group for Europe with responsibility for a wide range of disputes, in particular those having an international element. Mr. Mervis litigates in the High Court (appointed to the Commercial Court Users Committee) and in arbitrations. He is a founder member and Chair of London Commercial Litigators' Forum. He undertakes large-scale international commercial litigation, shareholder, joint venture, partnership disputes, banking litigation, complex civil fraud cases, competition High Court related cases, corporate reputation and regulatory investigations.
Mr. Mervis is recognised in the leading independent directories—Chambers, Chambers Global and Legal 500—as a leader in his field in both the commercial litigation, civil fraud and partnership sectors. Described in Chambers as: a "brilliant lateral thinker," who takes "innovative points" and as a "fierce advocate for his clients" often "coming up trumps in thorny issues"; acclaimed for his "thoughtful, problem-solving approach" and is a key figure for [the firm] in the international litigation and fraud arenas; an "extremely analytical and cerebral lawyer who brings an incredible clarity of analysis" to complex matters, and often acts on cross-border litigation; a "tenacious and inquiring" litigator who has a great understanding of the complexities of the sector. "Has extensive experience of tricky contentious work." Mr. Mervis is also listed in The International Who's Who: Commercial Litigators and Chambers Europe.
- Acted as advocate in Court of Appeal on freezing injunction establishing case law in that area.
- Acted on case involving constructive trust arising from alleged illegal transfer of a business.
- Acted on multi-jurisdictional fraud proceedings involving taking evidence under s1782 of Federal Code in support of proceedings in Europe.
- Acted for healthcare provider in obtaining a worldwide freezing injunction and High Court action for deceit in relation to a business sale.
- Numerous high-value disputes for the leading private equity and hedge clients the subject of confidential arbitration clauses.
- Commercial court case involving duties of general partner (gross negligence, willful misconduct), Californian and English law, defaulting investors.
- First proceedings involving court case to remove general partner.
- Unfair prejudice dispute and Court of Appeal decision on ability to bring unfair prejudice actions for conduct of subsidiary.
- High-value asset management client involving confidential arbitrations.
- Unfair prejudice petition involving Hotel group.
- Warranty and completion account claims the subject of High Court proceedings and arbitrations.
- Involved on high-profile defamation cases for individuals and corporates, and protecting business reputation and crisis management.
- Acting on dispute between two leading pharma companies in interpretational supply-based contracts.
- Acting on arbitration on development agreement in key dispute determining the survival of client.
- High Court action for delivery up of source code and software dispute.
- Involved in processes relating to alleged hacking into computer servers based in the USA.
Recommended – Litigation (UK) (2015)
- LLB (Hons), University College London
- England and Wales
- Solicitor Advocate - Higher Rights of Audience (Civil)
- Chair, London Commercial Litigators' Forum
- ADR Group Accredited Mediator
Commercial Court Users Committee
Founder sponsor and supporter of Pro Bono Centre Chancery Lane