Patricio Grané Labat is a seasoned international law expert with 20 years of experience in international arbitration, international trade, and general public international law. He has represented claimant and respondent parties in investment arbitrations, including under NAFTA, CAFTA-DR, and various bilateral investment treaties. He has acted as counsel in institutional and ad hoc arbitrations under ICSID, UNCITRAL, SCC, LCIA, and ICC rules. Mr. Grané, who served as a trade diplomat and negotiator for a Latin American country in Geneva, Switzerland, before entering private practice in 2001, also represents developed and developing countries in WTO dispute settlement proceedings and argues cases before WTO panels and the Appellate Body.
Mr. Grané has advised and represented sovereign States in a host of areas of public international law, including state responsibility, treaty law, use of force, and international humanitarian law. He has also represented sovereign States in judicial proceedings before European courts concerning jurisdictional immunities and diplomatic protection issues. He also counsels clients on multilateral trade issues and has served as a consultant to the United Nations on international trade law.
Mr. Grané, who is fluent in Spanish and a former government official, has unique insight and experience working with government officials, in particular from Latin American States.
He is a frequent speaker in international conferences in the areas of international arbitration and international trade, and has provided dozens of training and capacity building courses to government officials around the world. He was an Adjunct Professor of Law at Georgetown University Law Center before moving to London, UK.
- Supervision y Control S.A. v. Republic of Costa Rica (ICSID Case No. ARB/12/4)
- OI European Group B.V. v. Bolivarian Republic of Venezuela (ICSID Case No. ARB/11/25)
- EDF International S.A., SAUR International S.A. y León Participaciones Argentinas S.A. c. República Argentina (ICSID Case No. ARB/03/23)
- Compañía de Aguas del Aconquija S.A. and Vivendi Universal v. Argentine Republic (ARB/97/3)
- Alasdair Ross Anderson et al v. the Republic of Costa Rica (ICSID Case No. ARB(AF)/07/3)
- ADM and Tate & Lyle v. United Mexican States (ARB(AF)/05/05)
- Railroad Development Corporation (RDC) c. República de Guatemala (ICSID Case No. ARB/07/23)
- Nations Energy, Inc. y otros c. República de Panamá (ICSID Case No. ARB/06/19)
- AbitibiBowater Inc. v. Canada (ICSID Case No. UNCT/10/1)
- Duke Energy International Peru Investments No. 1, Ltd. v. Republic of Peru (ARB/03/28)
- Quadrant Pacific Growth Fund L.P. and Canasco Holdings Inc. v. the Republic of Costa Rica (ICSID Case No. ARB(AF)/08/1)
- LLM, Georgetown University Law Center, 2001, with distinction
- JD Equivalent, University of Costa Rica Law School, 1996
- BA, Law, University of Costa Rica Law School, 1995
- Registered Foreign Lawyer, England & Wales
- District of Columbia
- New York
- Costa Rica
- Appointed by the Parties to the Dominican Republic-Central America-United States Free Trade Agreement (CAFTA-DR) to the roster of panelists for the settlement of disputes under Chapter 20 of CAFTA-DR
- Appointed by the Governments of Costa Rica, Guatemala, El Salvador, Nicaragua, and Honduras to the roster of arbitrators for the resolution of trade disputes arising under the Central American economic integration agreements
- Appointed by the Government of Costa Rica to the list of arbitrators for the resolution of trade and investment disputes arising under treaties of which Costa Rica is a party
- Named to the list of international arbitrators of the Arbitration Center of the American Chamber of Commerce in Peru (AmCham Peru)
- Former Chair of the Public International and Criminal Law Committee of th DC Bar’s International Law Section
- Former member of the Board of Directors of the New York and Washington, DC Chapters of Club Español de Arbitraje
- Fellow of the Institute of International Economic Law, GULC
- Adjunct Professor of Law, Georgetown University Law Center (Spring 2008-2013)
- Adjunct Professor, Georgetown University, Edmund A. Walsh School of Foreign Service (Fall Semester of 2002, 2003)
- Research Assistant to Professor John H. Jackson, Georgetown University Law Center (200-2001)