Lawrence Culleen represents clients on administrative, regulatory, and enforcement matters involving federal agencies such as the US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), the US Department of Agriculture, the US Food and Drug Administration, and the Consumer Product Safety Commission. Mr. Culleen has broad experience advising clients on US and international regulatory programs that govern commercial and consumer use chemicals, pesticides and antimicrobials, as well as the products of biotechnology and nanoscale materials.
Prior to joining the firm, Mr. Culleen held significant positions at EPA serving as a manager in various risk-management programs which oversee pesticides, chemical substances, and biotechnology products.
During his tenure in the federal government, Mr. Culleen served as its representative on core EPA programs to a variety of interest groups, trade associations, and government bodies, both foreign and domestic, including international cooperative organizations.
- Federal Insecticide, Fungicide, and Rodenticide Act (FIFRA)
- Toxic Substances Control Act (TSCA)
- "Right-to-Know" legislation (e.g., Proposition 65, EPCRA 313)
- International Environmental/Chemical/Consumer Product Standards (e.g., REACH, GHS)
- Consumer Product Safety Act
- Provides day-to-day counsel to leading manufacturers of antimicrobial, personal and household care products on labeling, testing, licensing, and adverse effects reporting pursuant to TSCA, FIFRA, CPSA.
- Advises clients concerning current and potential future standards concerning the development of nano-scale materials that are subject to various federal laws, including TSCA and FIFRA.
- Negotiates TSCA and FIFRA Audit Agreements with EPA for chemical and consumer products companies, and provides representation during audits.
- Provides counsel concerning commenting during chemical testing and risk management regulatory development processes.
- Provides day-to-day regulatory compliance and enforcement assistance to global companies enabling them to develop and implement practices and procedures that ensure compliance with key chemical reporting and regulatory requirements.
- Assists multinational clients in establishing global systems to identify, understand, and comply with international and US requirements concerning pesticides, and maximum residue levels for crops that are harvested and sold for consumer use worldwide.
- Counsels clients in the US and abroad concerning authorization requirements and adverse effects reporting requirements for chemicals and formulations pursuant to TSCA , FIFRA, CPSA, and Directives in the EU.
- Represents a variety of specialty chemical manufacturers in negotiations with EPA concerning new chemical reviews and consent orders addressing the production and use of new chemicals, including various innovative new technologies such as biotechnology and nano-scale particles.
- JD, George Washington University Law School, 1982
- BA, George Washington University, 1979
- District of Columbia
- Chief of Staff to the Assistant Administrator, US Environmental Protection Agency
- Acting Director, Registration Division in the Office of Pesticide Programs, US Environmental Protection Agency
- Chief, New Chemicals Branch, US Environmental Protection Agency
- Director, Asbestos-In-Schools Loan and Grant Program, US Environmental Protection Agency
Vice-Chairperson, American Bar Association Committee on Pesticides, Chemical Regulation, and Right-to-Know; former Chairperson
Former Adjunct Professor of Environmental Law, The George Washington University National Law Center
Member, Board of Directors, in a community-based non-profit organization
Member of a local governmental public commission