Alison Brown has a wide ranging litigation and regulatory practice. She assists clients with product liability litigation and product safety matters and also handles complex commercial and public law litigation in the UK and European courts. Alison has extensive experience of disputes in the life sciences sector and coordinates litigation throughout the UK and Europe. For more than 20 years, she has represented defendants in some of the major group actions brought in the UK.
Alison also advises on all aspects of regulatory compliance, including investigations and enforcement actions by UK regulatory agencies and defends companies and individuals against criminal prosecutions for alleged breach of regulatory requirements. She handles internal investigations in a wide range of areas including in relation to economic crimes.
- Sanofi Aventis in the successful defence of the Fetal Anticonvulsant Group Litigation in respect of product liability claims brought on behalf of children of mothers with epilepsy who alleged that they had sustained congenital abnormalities as a result of exposure to anti-epileptic medication during pregnancy.
- Schering Healthcare and John Wyeth in the successful defence of the Oral Contraceptive Group Litigation, a product liability group action regarding the increased risk of thrombotic events allegedly associated with third generation combined oral contraceptives.
- SmithKlineBeecham in relation to an investigation relating to the alleged failure to report data to UK regulators, which was not pursued following legal representations.
- The Association of the British Pharmaceutical Industry in judicial review proceedings in the English courts and a reference to the European Court of Justice regarding the promotion of medicinal products.
- Fortune 500 company in an FCPA investigation involving the company's activities in over fifteen countries in Europe, the Middle East, and Central America.
- Various manufacturers of consumer goods, toys, electrical and electronic equipment, and vehicles in relation to EU and UK regulatory compliance, including advice on product safety and product recalls, and chemicals/ REACH.
- Various pharmaceutical companies in the context of regulatory investigations, including in relation to the promotion/ advertising of medicinal products and pharmacovigilance and reporting obligations.
- Various pharmaceutical companies in connection with adverse inspection findings and possible suspension of authorisation.
- Aircraft manufacturer in relation to proceedings concerning termination of a Sale Agreement.
Product Liability: Mainly Defendant (UK-wide) (2005-2018)
Life Sciences: Product Liability (2006-2018)
Pharmaceuticals & Biotechnology (2017)
- LLB, Bristol University, 1987
- England and Wales