Paul Abbott focuses his practice on contentious intellectual property matters, in particular those involving cross-border aspects. Mr. Abbott was recognised as a "Rising Star" for Intellectual Property in the London Super Lawyers survey in 2014 and 2015.
Mr. Abbott has been involved in patent cases in fields as diverse as pharmaceuticals, medical uses, enzyme formulation, construction, mobile telephony, and medical devices. He also advises in relation to trade mark and passing off, copyright, design right, breach of confidence / trade secrets, and commercial contract disputes. He has experience of proceedings in the Intellectual Property Enterprise Court, High Court (including the Patents Court and the Commercial Court) and Court of Appeal, Opposition & Appeal proceedings at the European Patent Office, and commercial arbitration.
Mr. Abbott qualified as a solicitor in England and Wales in September 2010. Before that, he completed a Masters in Chemistry at the University of Oxford (Hertford College), with First Class Honours. Since qualifying, he has completed the Postgraduate Diploma in Intellectual Property Law and Practice at the University of Oxford, with distinction.
Mr. Abbott is also a Solicitor-Advocate (Higher Courts Civil Proceedings).
- AstraZeneca and Shionogi in a Commercial Court dispute concerning the terms of a Settlement Agreement entered into with a generic company in Portugal concerning patent and SPC rights relating to the blockbuster drug Crestor®. Teva Pharma - Produtos Farmacêuticos LDA & Anor v AstraZeneca - Produtos Farmacêuticos LDA & Anor  EWHC 1852 (Comm) (30 June 2017).
- AstraZeneca in a pan-European patent dispute concerning a blockbuster asthma treatment, including proceedings in the Patents Court and Court of Appeal in England, in other national courts across Europe, and at the European Patent Office. Teva UK Ltd & Anor v Astrazeneca AB  EWHC 2873 (Pat) (02 September 2014).
- Danisco / DuPont in a pan-European patent (and related rights) dispute concerning animal feed products, including proceedings in the Patents Court and Court of Appeal in England, in other national courts across Europe, and at the European Patent Office. Danisco A/S v Novozymes A/S  EWHC 3288 (Pat) (08 December 2011);  EWHC 389 (Pat) (15 February 2012);  EWHC 696 (Pat) (9 March 2012);  EWHC 1641 (Pat) (14 June 2012);  EWHC 155 (Pat) (7 February 2013);  EWHC 483 (Pat) (6 March 2013).
- Leading global pharmaceutical company concerning potential generic launches against its product protected by a supplementary protection certificate in the UK.
- Manufacturer of vehicle reversing alarms in relation to allegations of patent infringement.
- Cantideck & Conquip Industrial in a damages enquiry in the Patents County Court relating to the supply of crane loading platforms to the construction industry. Xena Systems Ltd v Cantideck  EWPCC 1 (18 January 2013).
- Vlingo Corporation in patent infringement proceedings in the Patents Court relating to an innovative speech recognition application.
- Higher Courts Qualification (Civil Advocacy), The University of Law, 2014
- Post-Graduate Diploma in Intellectual Property Law and Practice, Oxford University, 2012, with distinction
- LPC, BPP Law School, London, 2008, with distinction
- Graduate Diploma in Law, Oxford Brookes University, 2007, with distinction
- MChem in Chemistry, Oxford University, 2005, First Class Honours, with distinction
- England and Wales