Stewart Aaron practices commercial and international litigation. For more than 30 years, Mr. Aaron's practice has involved the representation of clients in litigated matters in state and federal courts, and before arbitral tribunals, regulatory bodies and self regulatory organizations.
Mr. Aaron is Past President of the 9,000-member New York County Lawyers' Association and remains active in bar association activities. He is a frequent author and lecturer on legal topics, generally in the areas of securities and commercial litigation.
Mr. Aaron was recognized as a Top 100 Super Lawyer in New York-Metro in 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015 and 2016, and as a New York Super Lawyer from 2006 through 2016. He also is an AV-rated attorney, a peer-awarded honor given by Martindale-Hubbell, and is ranked by Chambers, Best Lawyers in America and The Legal 500 US.
- Philip Morris in multi-billion dollar arbitrations arising out of the Master Settlement Agreement with US States and territories.
- Financial institutions in litigation in the New York Commercial Division alleging breaches of representations and warranties in the issuance and securitization of Residential Mortgage Backed Securities.
- In re South African Apartheid Litigation. Obtained dismissal of claims against foreign defendant under the Alien Tort Statute.
- Turner v. MagicJack VocalTec, Ltd. Obtained dismissal of Rule 10b-5 lawsuit at pleading stage.
- Scott-Macon Securities, Inc. v. Niacet Corporation. Obtained summary judgment on behalf of plaintiff for defendant's breach of advisory agreement before single deposition taken.
- Vioni v. American Capital Strategies Ltd. Successfully represented American Capital in obtaining summary dismissal of finder's fee claims in District Court. Affirmed in Second Circuit.
- Sea Search Armada v. Republic of Colombia. Successfully represented Republic in $17 billion US federal court litigation brought by maritime salvage company related to alleged rights to the treasure aboard a Spanish galleon.
- Fairfax Financial Holdings Limited v. S.A.C. Capital Management, LLC, et al. Successfully represented hedge fund defendant against, among others, claims alleging violations of the New Jersey Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organization Act related to short selling of Fairfax stock.
- In re Initial Public Offering Securities Litigation. Represented underwriter in 67 of 310 consolidated actions in the US District Court for the Southern District of New York alleging that IPO underwriters, IPO issuers, and individual officers and directors of issuing companies engaged in scheme to inflate the issuers' share price, in violation of the federal securities laws.
- Scott-Macon Securities, Inc. v. Zoltek Companies. Represented plaintiff placement agent in connection with action for breach of agreement pursuant to which plaintiff was to act as exclusive placement agent. Obtained partial summary judgment as to liability on behalf of plaintiff, and judgment in favor of plaintiff after trial awarding fees and warrants totaling in excess of $6 million. Affirmed in substantial part by Second Circuit, and later favorably settled.
- In re Mutual Funds Investment Litigation. Represented mutual fund management company in class and derivative actions involving allegations of market timing and late trading.
- JPMorgan Chase Bank v. Liberty Mutual, et al. Represented surety company in this Enron-related litigation during month-long trial; favorably settled prior to jury deliberations.
Litigation: Securities (2009-2011)
Top 100 Super Lawyer, New York – Metro (2012-2016)
- JD, Syracuse University College of Law, 1983, summa cum laude
- BS, Cornell University, 1980
- New York
- Supreme Court of the United States
- US Courts of Appeals for the Second, Fourth, and Ninth Circuits
- US District Courts for the Southern and Eastern Districts of New York
- US Tax Court
Past President, New York County Lawyers' Association (NYCLA)
Past Member, NYCLA Task Force on Judicial Independence
Past Chair, NYCLA Committee on the Federal Courts
Past Chair, Litigation Committee, New York City Bar
Past Chair, Committee on Federal Legislation, NY State Bar Association
- President-Elect, New York American Inn of Court
Member, Federal Bar Council
Mediator, US District Court for the Southern District of New York
Member, NYCLA Executive Committee
Member, Board of Directors, NYCLA Foundation
Member, Entertainment Committee, New York City Bar
Fellow, Litigation Counsel of America
Fellow, American Bar Foundation
Fellow, New York Bar Foundation
Member, NY Chief Judge’s Commercial Division Advisory Council
Member, Board of Directors, The Legal Aid Society
Member, Board of Directors, NYCLA