About the Firm
Arnold & Porter Kaye Scholer is a 1,000+ lawyer firm with sophisticated litigation and transactional capabilities, renowned regulatory experience and market-leading multidisciplinary practices in the life sciences and financial services industries. Client-driven and industry focused, our lawyers practice across more than 30 practice areas, including bankruptcy, corporate finance, intellectual property, litigation, real estate and tax, to help clients with complex needs stay ahead of the global market, anticipate opportunities and address issues that impact the very value of their businesses. Our global reach, experience and deep knowledge allow us to work across geographic, cultural, technological and ideological borders, to offer clients forward-looking, results-oriented solutions that resolve their US, international and cross-border legal needs.
Who We Are
- 100 Years of combined business acumen with a practical forward-looking, results-driven approach
- 13 Offices in the US, Belgium, China, Germany, and the UK
- 154 Attorneys ranked in Chambers USA, Chambers UK, and Chambers Global in 2017
- 84 Attorneys who have held senior positions in US and European governments and international organizations
- 133 Fortune 250 companies have chosen Arnold & Porter Kaye Scholer as outside counsel
What We Offer
- More than 1,000 lawyers with an unyielding commitment to excellence and professionalism
- Exceptional depth of talent across the litigation, regulatory, and transactional spectrum
- Leading multidisciplinary practices in the life sciences and financial services industries
- Among the broadest and deepest service offerings in the two key US legal markets of New York and Washington, DC
- Broad reach across geographic, cultural, commercial, and ideological borders
- One of the world's leading pro bono programs, with our attorneys performing more than 92,000 hours of pro bono work in 2016
Rankings – Recognition Across a Broad Spectrum
- Law360 "Litigation Powerhouse" in 2016
- The National Law Journal's Appellate Hot List (2010, 2013-2016)
- The American Lawyer's "A-List" recognized the firm seven times since 2003
- Chambers USA ranked 107 attorneys as "Leading Individuals" in 2017
- Chambers UK 2017 ranked 11 attorneys as "Leading Individuals"
- Chambers Global 2017 ranked 39 attorneys
- JUVE 2016-2017 ranked 6 German attorneys
- Chambers Latin America 2017 named the firm a leading law firm
- Global Competition Review "GCR Global Elite" list (2008-2017)
- FORTUNE Magazine's "100 Best Companies to Work For" (2003-2010, 2013-2016)
- VAULT Guide's "Top 100 Law Firms" (2004-2017)
Diversity – A Core Value at Arnold & Porter Kaye Scholer
- "Corporate Equality Index" ranking by the Human Rights Campaign (2006, 2008-2017)
- Minority Corporate Counsel Association's "Thomas L. Sager Award" (1999-2000, 2002-2005, 2008, 2015)
- Yale Law Women's "Top 10 Family Friendly Law Firms" (2006-2017)
- Working Mother Magazine's "100 Best Companies" (1996-1997, 2001-2002, 2004-2016)
- The National Law Journal named an Arnold & Porter Kaye Scholer attorney to its "Minority 40 Under 40" list in 2011, 2014, and 2015
- Lawyers of Color named an Arnold & Porter Kaye Scholer attorney to its "Hot List" in 2014
Pro Bono – One of the World's Leading Law Firm Pro Bono Programs
- Our attorneys performed 92,873 hours of pro bono work in 2016
- The American Lawyer's 2016 Pro Bono Report ranked the firm No. 3 internationally and No. 12 in the US
- Law360's "Pro Bono Firms of 2016"
- New York Immigration Coalition's 2017 Outstanding Service Award
- Protect Our Defenders 2017 Justice Award
- Washington Lawyer's Committee's 2017 Outstanding Achievement Award
- Kids in Need of Defense (KIND) 2016 Vision Award
- After 17 years and 30,000+ hours, we won a death penalty appeal for our client who had been on death row for 24 years
- Brought successful litigation to extend Virginia's voter registration deadline prior to 2016 Presidential election
- After 4 years of litigation, we helped reach a settlement with federal Bureau of Prisions (BOP) for prisoners held in Administrative Maximum Facility in Florence, Colorado, requiring substantive improvements to prison conditions
- Obtained 50+ legal name changes for transgender clients so that their official documents conform to the way they self-identify
We provide the full breadth of legal resources to represent all of our clients' interests. Through interdisciplinary collaboration and specialized experience in our clients' industries, we offer truly innovative and effective solutions that align with both clients' short- and long-term business objectives.For those clients who cannot afford legal counsel, we maintain a broad and meaningful pro bono practice. Arnold & Porter Kaye Scholer is one of a small number of firms whose attorneys consistently average more than 100 hours per year of pro bono work. With a lengthy record of excellence, we remain committed to the community at large. In all of our work, we stay true to our core values. We maintain a diverse workplace, a collegial work environment, and an unyielding commitment to inclusiveness.
We set our standards high, expect the best from our attorneys, and return top-tier work on behalf of our clients. Our tradition of excellence is distinguished, and our attorneys are widely respected in the US and abroad. Our attorneys are leaders in their fields, speak frequently throughout the world on the firm's core practice areas, and are published widely in legal journals, industry and mass media, and "hot topic" books.
Our attorneys’ accomplishments are grounded in their training—often at the most noted legal institutions around the globe—and further enhanced by the experiences many of them had as doctors, biologists, chemists, public policy professionals, and former high-ranking officials from key US regulatory agencies and the executive and legislative branches of the federal government. Their insider perspectives are integral to understanding the legal and policy frameworks in which complex business and legal issues arise, and how best to structure transactions and overcome litigation and regulatory challenges.