Charlotte Simphal is a French qualified lawyer and advises extensively on merger control and cartel investigations before the European Commission and national competition authorities worldwide. In addition, she regularly advises clients on restrictive agreements and practices, as well as questions related to abuse of dominance. She also provides advice on state aid as well as regulatory matters. Ms. Simphal has represented a variety of clients across a number of different sectors, including chemicals, medical equipment, food and beverages, shipping and power generation.
Ms. Simphal has worked in-house as competition counsel at a major FTSE 100 company and has also undertaken a traineeship at the European Commission’s Directorate General for Competition.
Prior to joining Arnold & Porter, Ms. Simphal worked in the Brussels and London-based competition law groups at leading US and UK law firms. She is fluent in French and English.
- Boston Scientific in its acquisition of AMS' Men's Health and Prostate Health businesses.
- US client on the French merger control aspects of the sale of one of their portfolio companies.
- BASF in its €3.1 billion acquisition of Cognis GmbH, including the negotiation of commitments to secure Phase I clearance.
- AREVA in its sale of its T&D business to ALSTOM and Schneider, and in its appeal before the General Court against the European Commission's decision in the Power Transformers case.
- Major FTSE 100 bank in its proposed acquisition of another European bank.
- European company in the context of a hostile public bid by a US corporation in the food and beverage sector.
- Major pan-European aerospace and defence corporation in connection with the restructuring of its guided missile activities.
- American multinational company in connection with the creation of two JVs in the petrochemical sector.
- Major French media company in connection with its intervention in an appeal before the General Court against a Commission clearance decision in the publishing sector.
- CAPA, Ecole de formation professionnelle des barreaux de la Cour d'appel de Paris, 2003
- DEA de droit privé général, Université de Paris II Panthéon-Assas, 2002
- LLM, King's College London, 2001
- Maîtrise de droit mention Carrières Judiciaires, Université de Paris I Panthéon-Sorbonne, 2000
- Brussels, Belgium
- Paris, France (eligible)