Dr. Michael Weigel has been practicing as a corporate and commercial litigator and arbitrator since 1989. He has vast experience leading complex lawsuits and arbitration proceedings in the fields of economic, trade, corporate, and banking and finance law. He represents clients across a broad range of areas and has acted for numerous German and international industrial enterprises and financial institutions in various high profile matters, including warranty, compensation and recourse claims, and professional negligence matters.
- Group of lenders regarding the prospective outcome of a lawsuit against the borrower filed by one of its customer raising a 9-digit claim based on alleged defects of a production line for solar panels.
- Bernd Lunkewitz in claiming damages in the 8 to 9 digit range, against the former Treuhandanstalt which had sold the Aufbau Verlag to him without having title which was discovered 17 years later.
- Former Massa AG against Metro in a claim for damages in the amount of more than €50 million because Metro acquired the client's retail business for an inadequate purchase price when it still was Metro's subsidiary.
- German holding company DIVACO (the parent company of the former Massa AG) against its former parent company Metro AG in various disputes. Those include claims for damages in the 7 to 8 digit range based on a breach of fiduciary obligations and counter claims raised by Metro in the 7 to 8 digit range for reimbursement of taxes incurred by a subsidiary which was transferred back to Metro.
- Deutsche Leasing (its subsidiary LGS Leasinggesellschaft der Sparkassen) in its defense against claims for the repayment of purchase prices in an amount of more than €100 million raised by banks which had acquired LGS's receivables against FlowTex before its fraud scheme was discovered. The law suits went through all instances. In the end half of the claims raised against the client were dismissed while the other half was settled favorably.
- JP Morgan in the enforcement of an outstanding loan in the amount of €500 million against Prima Com. The matter involved not only several law suits in Germany and - together with colleagues there - in the UK but also the enforcement of UK-titles in Germany. The matter was finally settled favorably.
- Arbitrator in an arbitration in which settlement was obtained in a dispute about the interpretation of a production contract between the seller and the purchaser of production plants in the food industry.
Dispute Resolution (Germany) (2016-2017)
German Litigation Team (2014, 2016)
German Litigation Team (2014 and 2015)
- PhD, University of Frankfurt am Main, 1989
- Legal Traineeship, Landgericht Wiesbaden, Oberlandesgericht Frankfurt am Main, 1985
- Law Studies, University of Frankfurt am Main, 1982
- German Attorney, authorized to represent before all German Courts (except for the Federal Court of Justice in civil matters) and before the courts of the European Union.
- Member, Managing Board, Frankfurt Bar (Rechtsanwaltskammer Frankfurt am Main)
- Member, Supervisory Board, Lawyers' Pension Fund in Hessen (Versorgungswerk der Rechtsanwälte in Hessen)
- Chairman, Committee on Procedural Matters, German Federal Bar (ZPO/GVG-Ausschuss der Bundesrechtsanwaltskammer)