Tanyel Serpemen focuses on cross-border investments, often involving financial, corporate or real estate restructuring, the structuring of acquisitions and disposals of loan or real estate portfolios, secured or unsecured bonds, and advising investment banks and opportunistic funds in special situations.
Mr. Serpemen has worked on several high-profile European cross-border restructurings and nonperforming and sub-performing loan and real estate portfolio trades, including the representation of a group of bondholders in the restructuring of Ideal Standard International, a group of mezzanine lenders to Highstreet in the restructuring of €3.4bn of debt owed by the Karstadt retail business and the acquisition of a €1.1bn mortgage loan portfolio by GE Capital from Capmark.
Mr. Serpemen has particular experience dealing with German assets held in Germany or offshore special purpose vehicles, including real estate and ships or assets financed through CMBS and other complex finance structures.
- Deutsche Bank in its bid for a portfolio of consumer and mortgage loans originated in Germany.
- Sellers of €100m+ of commercial real estate assets to market buyers out of CMBS structures.
- Major international investment bank in the acquisition, on-ward trading, and syndication of a distressed German ship loan portfolio.
- Minority group of bondholders in its equitisation of debt issued by Ideal Standard International S.A.
- Ad hoc group of €400m Convertible Bondholders in the restructuring of German listed real estate investor and developer IVG Immobilien AG (Germany).
- Issuer in the £263m structured refinancing and securitisation of "Toys R Us" UK real estate.
- UK-based special servicer on the special servicing and work-out of an English law governed CMBS loan portfolio collateralized by 50+ German properties in and outside of insolvency.
- Credit Suisse on the restructuring of a convertible bond and debt-for-equity conversion in a listed German real estate investment and asset management company.
- JPMorgan in the restructuring and wind-down of its acquisition and securitisation platform for €300m+ German mortgage loans.
- Mezzanine lender in the restructuring of a German care home financing and transfer of the Mezzanine Agent role.
- US bondholders in connection with a liquidity injection into a global sanitary ware business.
- University College London
- University of Bielefeld
- England and Wales