Katie J.L. Scott focuses her practice on intellectual property and technology-related disputes, with a particular emphasis on patent litigation. She also has experience with false advertising, business tort and antitrust issues. Ms. Scott has represented clients in a variety of industries, including medical devices, biotechnology, semiconductor devices and software.
- Olympus v. Perfect Surgical Techniques, as counsel for Olympus before the USPTO Patent Trial and Appeal Board, regarding the inter partes review of two medical device patents.
- Perfect Surgical Techniques v. Olympus, as counsel for Olympus, in this district court patent infringement action involving bipolar surgical instruments and electrosurgical generators.
- Alzheimer's Institute of America v. Elan Pharmaceuticals, as counsel for Elan, in this patent infringement action involving a genetic mutation linked to early onset Alzheimer's Disease and research tools related to that mutation.
- Applied Medical v. Ethicon Endo-Surgery, as counsel for Applied Medical, in this false advertising and unfair competition action involving laparoscopic medical products.
- Carl Zeiss Meditec & Univ. of Miami v. Optovue; Carl Zeiss Meditec v. Optovue & MIT, as counsel for Optovue, in these patent infringement actions involving ophthalmic imaging and image processing.
- Amgen v. Roche, as counsel for Amgen, in a declaratory judgment action and ITC action involving recombinant erythropoietin.
- Conceptus v. Hologic, as counsel for Hologic, in this patent infringement action involving permanent female sterilization products.
Inter Partes Review Practice
- JD, University of California, Hastings College of The Law, 2004, Order of the Coif
- BS, Chemical Engineering, University of California, Berkeley, 2000
- US Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- US Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- US District Court, Central District of California
- US District Court, Northern District of California
- US District Court, Southern District of California
- US District Court, Eastern District of Texas
- Treasurer, Women's Intellectual Property Lawyers Association