John P. Rynkiewicz has broad domestic and international experience in trademark selection, clearance, registration, counseling, licensing, and enforcement efforts. His experience stems in part from his examination and review of thousands of US trademark applications for registration as a trademark examiner at the US Patent and Trademark Office as well as through his training and supervision of other examiners while a Senior Management Attorney there. Mr. Rynkiewicz was the chief trademark counsel for a diversified global conglomerate where he was responsible for the full range of trademark issues facing companies today. This included issues in licensing, mergers, acquisitions, divestitures, and joint ventures. He oversaw large global trademark portfolios and counseled on adoption and enforcement of trademarks, as well as website and domain-name issues.
Mr. Rynkiewicz's experience includes the participation in major acquisitions, mergers, divestitures, and complex trademark litigations, as well as oppositions and cancellations containing varied issues such as expert testimony, surveys, discovery, and motion practice. He has been successful in protecting trademarks and company names both in the United States and abroad, and is very familiar with nuances in international practice.
For some time, Mr. Rynkiewicz has been active in many related issues and programs at the United States Patent and Trademark Office as well as international protection and enforcement issues.
Leading Trademark Practitioners (2014–2016)
- JD, Pennsylvania State University, The Dickinson School of Law, 1981
- BA, King's College, 1978, magna cum laude
- District of Columbia
- US Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- Member, International Trademark Association
- Member, New York Intellectual Property Lawyers Association
- Member, United States Council for International Business
- Former Director, International Trademark Association
- Former Member, Department of Commerce Trademark Public Advisory