Nancy Perkins focuses her practice on litigation, regulatory compliance, and consulting on emerging policy issues, with a principal focus on data privacy and security. Ms. Perkins regularly advises clients on compliance with a wide range of data protection requirements at the federal and state levels, including rules applicable to online communications and transactions as well as all types of uses and disclosures of medical, financial, and other sensitive personal information. She assists clients in structuring their activities, online service offerings, and privacy policies to comply with applicable laws and best practices, taking into account technological and intellectual property issues associated with the expansion of electronic commerce and Internet activities. Among other laws, Ms. Perkins frequently provides counsel on the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA), the Health Information Technology for Economic and Clinical Health Act, the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act, the Fair Credit Reporting Act (as amended by the Fair and Accurate Credit Transactions Act), the federal E-Sign Act, the Children's Online Privacy Protection Act, and the Video Privacy Protection Act, as well as state privacy, security, data breach notification, and electronic signature laws.
She also has a deep background in international law and advises clients on the cross-border transfers of personal data, including under the EU Data Protection Directive and the Canadian Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act, as well as broader issues arising under the rapidly developing framework for global legal protection of personal information.
Ms. Perkins served as a law clerk to the Honorable Eugene H. Nickerson of the US District Court for the Eastern District of New York from 1987 to 1988. She is a 1987 graduate of Harvard Law School, where she was an editor of the Harvard Law Review and the Harvard International Law Journal. She is a member of the American Law Institute and serves on the Executive Council of the American Society of International Law and the Steering Committee of the International Law Section of the District of Columbia Bar.
Published Decisions in Consumer Class Actions
- Parks v. MBNA America Bank, N.A., 54 Cal. 4th 376 (2012); State of California ex rel. McCann v. Bank of America, N.A., 191 Cal. App. 4th 897 (2011); In re Checking Account Overdraft Litigation, 626 F. Supp. 2d 1333 (J.P.M.L. 2009), 694 F. Supp. 2d 1302 (S.D. Fla. 2010), 275 F.R.D. 654 (S.D. Fla. 2011), and 2011 WL 5873389 (S.D. Fla. 2011); Larin v. Bank of America, N.A., 725 F. Supp. 2d 1212 (S.D. Cal. 2010); Rose v. Chase Bank USA, N.A., 513 F. 3d 1032 (9th Cir. 2008), aff'g 396 F. Supp. 2d 1116 (C.D. Cal. 2005); Pacific Capital Bank, N.A. v. Connecticut, 542 F.3d 341 (2d Cir. 2008) (amicus); Augustine v. FIA Card Services, N.A., 485 F. Supp. 2d 1172 (E.D. Cal. 2007); Watters v. Wachovia Bank, N.A., 127 S. Ct. 1559 (2007) (amicus); Miller v. Bank of America, NA & SA, 46 Cal. 4th 630 (2009) (amicus), aff'g, 51 Cal. Rptr. 3d 223 (2006) (amicus); Cuomo v. Clearing House Ass' n. L.L.C., 129 S. Ct. 2710 (2009) (amicus), aff'g in part, 510 F.3d 105 (2d Cir. 2007) (amicus ), aff'g in part, 394 F. Supp. 2d 620 (S.D.N.Y. 2005) (amicus); Am. Fin. Services Ass'n v. City of Oakland, 34 Cal. 4th 1239 (2005) (amicus); Bank of America v. City of Daly City, 279 F. Supp. 2d 1118 (N.D. Cal. 2003) (amicus), subsequently vacated by stipulation; Bank One Delaware, N.A. v. Wilens, 2003 WL 21703627 (C.D. Cal. 2003) and 2003 WL 21703629 (C.D. Cal. 2003); Gilchrist v. State Farm et al.,390 F.3d 1327 (11th Cir. 2004); State Farm Bank v. Burke, State Farm Bank v. Reardon, and State Farm Bank v. District of Columbia.
Pro Bono Service Award for Election Monitoring in Nicaragua, International Human Rights Law Group, 1990
- JD, Harvard Law School, 1987
- MPP, Harvard University, John F. Kennedy School of Government, 1987
- AB, Harvard College, 1979
- District of Columbia
- Supreme Court of the United States
- US Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit
- US Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- US Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- US Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- US Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- US Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- US District Court, District of Columbia
- US District Court, Eastern District of New York, The Honorable Eugene H. Nickerson
Treasurer and Executive Council Member, American Society of International Law (ASIL)
Editorial Advisory Committee Member, International Legal Materials, an ASIL publication
Member, American Law Institute
Co-Chair, International Law Section of the DC Bar