Michael Messersmith represents lenders, bondholders, agents, indenture trustees, hedge funds and other financial institutions, as well as borrowers, in distressed situations, workouts and bankruptcy proceedings throughout the United States. A primary focus of Mr. Messersmith's practice is advising ad hoc groups of lenders and bondholders in restructuring situations.
Mr. Messersmith has written and lectured on a number of restructuring and distressed credit topics. His contributions include: "Debt Management Best Practices for CEOs of VC-Funded Companies," ExecSense Webinars (July 22, 2011); "Distress in the Middle Markets – Liquidity, Logistics and Special Considerations," Distressed Debt Forum (September 2010); "Redemptions From Failed Hedge Funds: How Should They Be Treated by Courts?" Securities Regulation & Law (December 17, 2007); "Lender Liability Claims in the Big Apple—If They Can Make It There, They'll Make It Anywhere," The Secured Lender (May/June 2006).
- Steering committee and, later, successor agent in out-of court restructuring of radio station group.
- Successor agent in debt-for-equity restructuring of media enterprise.
- Group of lenders in large hotel workout.
- Bondholders and trustees in real estate and medical center restructurings.
- Trustee in numerous bank holding company insolvency proceedings.
- Hedge fund in purchase of large condo development in Orlando, Florida out of a pending bankruptcy proceeding.
- Television enterprise in its bankruptcy proceeding in Delaware bankruptcy court.
- Real estate development company in insolvency proceedings involving joint venture partners.
- Lenders in several out-of-court restructurings of a promotional products concern.
- Lenders in the restructuring and eventual bankruptcy of a leading bus manufacturer.
- More than 50 hedge funds and institutional lenders in a number of pending merger transactions.
- SEC-appointed receiver of a failed group of hedge funds.
- Corporate debtors in pending bankruptcy proceedings.
- Providing Funds with general restructuring advice in connection with a multitude of investments in distressed companies.
- Significant aircraft lessor in several airline bankruptcies.
- Trustee of a failed aluminum producer.
- JD, DePaul University College of Law, 1999, with honors, Order of the Coif
- BA, Ohio Wesleyan University, 1996, magna cum laude
- US District Court, Northern District of Illinois