Dr. Gottfried Freier was in-house counsel with BASF Aktiengesellschaft in the Patent, Central Legal and Group Tax Departments, and later became General Counsel of BASF Pharma, with worldwide responsibility for legal, taxes, insurance, and trademarks.
As a result of his extensive experience in the chemical and pharmaceutical industries, Dr. Freier often represents clients in these sectors, ranging in size from small start-up and medium-sized companies to large multinational groups. He advises on a variety of matters, including mergers and acquisitions, general corporate matters, and technology transactions including licensing and cooperation agreements, transfer of product rights, research, development, and commercialization agreements (e.g., co-promotion and co-marketing), as well as contract research and development, clinical trial arrangements, and contract manufacturing.
Dr. Freier is often sought after to advise industrial enterprises in many business sectors, because of his comprehensive experience as both a lawyer in private practice and, "at the other end of the table," as in-house counsel.
He has written on intellectual property and biotechnology topics.
- 4SC (Germany) in out-licensing to/R&D collaboration with BionNTech AG.
- 4SC (Germany) in the acquisition of oncology portfolio (asset deal) from Nycomed GmbH.
- 4SC (Germany) in the acquisition project relating to proposed assets purchase from an insolvent US company by a German biotech company.
- Activaero (Germany), a therapeutic area specialist developing, among other things, cutting-edge solutions for patients suffering from severe respiratory disorders, on an undisclosed partnership in pulmonary hypertension.
- Activaero shareholders in the (exit) sale of their shares to Vectura plc, a UK listed (LSE) company focused on therapies for airways related diseases, for a total of €130 million.
- Miltenyi in its strategic cell and gene therapy collaboration with GSK.
- Nexigen in collaboration agreements with BioNTech and 4SC, among others.
- Protagen in cooperation with Pfizer and Qiagen re development of companion diagnostics.
- Rentschler (Germany) on their divestiture of its pharmaceutical business to Medice.
- Rentschler (Germany) on their strategic investment in CellCA GmbH.
- Santhera, a public Swiss specialty pharmaceutical company in various out-licensing agreements with Takeda regarding Idebenone.
- Sequenom, a US genomic and genetic test provider for research and diagnostic markets, in the out-licensing of prenatal diagnosis testing technology to LifeCodeXX, Germany.
- TRON GmbH on various collaboration agreements.
- University of Mainz, 1987, magna cum laude
- First German State Exam, Johannes Gutenberg-University at Mainz, 1981
- German Attorney, authorized to represent before all German Courts (except for the Federal Court of Justice in civil matters) and before the courts of the European Union.
Member, Licensing Executive Society (LES)
Member, BioDeutschland e.V. Working Group Finance and Taxes