Arthur Brown has a broad practice, with deep experience representing and advising clients on mass tort and product liability issues, investigations by federal and state authorities, inquiries from Congress, and commercial litigation disputes.
Head of Arnold & Porter Kaye Scholer's New York office, Arthur Brown is a nationally recognized leader in the product liability arena, serving as national counsel and national coordinating counsel representing pharmaceutical companies, including Bayer, Pfizer, Novartis, and AstraZeneca, in bet-the-company mass tort product liability actions. Mr. Brown plays a central, hands-on role directing and implementing overall litigation and trial strategy, preparing high-level executives for testimony, and developing the medical and science defense. Mr. Brown also has extensive experience advising clients on strategic litigation and settlement decisions, as well as litigation avoidance, in commercial litigation, and white collar investigations.
Mr. Brown is also an experienced commercial litigator who regularly represents and advises clients in complex securities and fraud cases, government investigations, and significant arbitrations.
From 1994 to 1997, Mr. Brown served as an Assistant District Attorney in the New York County District Attorney's office, where he prosecuted a wide range of cases involving street crime, conspiracy, fraud, and embezzlement.
- Sandoz, Inc., as lead counsel, in an action brought by venture capitalists alleging securities and common law causes of action (2012 – present).
- Patrolmens Benevolent Association, as lead counsel, in their ongoing labor arbitration against the City of New York (2014 – present).
- Former members of AIG's senior management, as a key member of the defense team, in a complex fraud action brought by the New York Attorney General's office under the Martin Act (2012 – present).
- AstraZeneca in a breach of contract claim brought by Verus Pharmaceuticals stemming from an alleged breach of a Collaboration Agreement to develop a pediatric asthma treatment. The case was dismissed on pretrial motion and the dismissal was upheld on appeal (2007 – 2012).
- Pharmaceutical companies in government and Congressional investigations related to marketed medicines (2002 – present).
"Product Liability Attorney of the Year" – Shortlist (2016)
- JD, Temple University School of Law, 1994, cum laude
- BS, University of Massachusetts, 1991, magna cum laude
- New York
- US District Court, Southern District of New York
- Assistant District Attorney, New York County District Attorney's Office