Lisa Blatt heads the firm's Appellate and Supreme Court practice. She has argued 35 cases before the Supreme Court, prevailing in 32 (one pending). The National Law Journal called her a "visionary" and one of "the 100 most influential lawyers in America." The Washingtonian thrice has listed her as one of the "100 Most Powerful Women in Washington," and Chambers USA has noted her "meticulous oral argument preparation and 'great presence before the court.'" Her oral advocacy is cited as exemplary in the Supreme Court Clerk's Guide for Counsel.
Ms. Blatt has an active practice in the federal and state courts of appeals. She has argued and briefed more than 22 significant appeals on a wide-range of business law issues. The American Lawyer Litigation Daily has twice named her "Litigator of the Week": for her work in Price v. Philip Morris, Inc. in overturning reinstatement of $10 billion verdict against client Philip Morris in a "lights" cigarette case; and SmithKline Beecham Corp. v. Abbott Laboratories, a landmark case on behalf of GlaxoSmithKline finding that the Equal Protection Clause bars peremptory challenges of jurors based on sexual orientation. Most recently, Ms. Blatt was widely covered in the media for her Fourth Circuit brief in Pro-Football, Inc. v. Blackhorse, the Washington Redskins' First Amendment and statutory challenge to the cancellation of the team's trademarks.
Ms. Blatt also brings substantial experience with the pharmaceutical industry. Her Supreme Court arguments include prevailing in Astra USA, Inc. v. Santa Clara County, which ruled for private action for alleged violations of drug pricing rules under Section 340B program; and she was lead counsel for Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers of America (PhRMA) in Sorrell v. IMS Health, a landmark decision granting pharmaceutical manufacturers a First Amendment right to market their drugs. Her Supreme Court cases also addressed broad issues involving healthcare, antitrust, civil procedure, preemption, employment and ERISA, bankruptcy, and national security.
Ms. Blatt assists the US Chamber of Commerce in selecting cases for amicus participation and is on the Advisory Board for Georgetown University Law Center's Supreme Court Institute. She teaches Appellate Advocacy and Procedure at Georgetown.
- Church plan litigation, Nos. 16-74, 16-86, 16-258 (pending) Scope of ERISA's church plan exemption for religious employers
- Adoptive Couple v. Baby Girl, 570 U.S. ___ (2013) Clients prevailed in a child custody dispute involving the federal Indian Child Welfare Act. The case marked only the second time the Supreme Court had considered the scope of ICWA, and "Baby Girl" was reunited with her adoptive parents.
- Tarrant Regional Water District v. Herrmann, 569 U.S. ___ (2013) Secured decision protecting key western water compacts that do not expressly authorize cross-border diversions.
- Marx v. General Revenue Corp., 568 U.S. ___ (2013) Secured ruling in favor of our client in Fair Debt Collection Practices Act case.
- Astra USA, Inc. v. Santa Clara County, 563 U.S. 110 (2011) Unanimous decision for client that resolved important questions for government contract litigation involving third-party beneficiary challenges.
- Henderson v. Shinseki, 562 U.S. 428 (2011) Unanimous decision in favor of war veteran client regarding veteran disability benefits.
- JD, University of Texas School of Law, 1989, summa cum laude
- BA, University of Texas at Austin, 1986, summa cum laude
- District of Columbia
- Supreme Court of the United States
- US Court of Appeals for the First Circuit
- US Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- US Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- US Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- US Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- US Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- US Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- US Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit
- US Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- US Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit
- US Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- US Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit
- US Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- US District Court, District of Columbia
- Assistant to the Solicitor General, US Department of Justice
- Assistant General Counsel, US Department of Energy
- Special Assistant to the General Counsel, US Department of Energy
- United States Court of Appeals, District of Columbia Circuit, The Honorable Ruth Bader Ginsburg
Member, American Academy of Appellate Lawyers
Member, Advisory Board, Georgetown University Law Center’s Supreme Court Institute
Member, National Chamber Litigation Center’s Constitutional and Administrative Law Committee, US Chamber of Commerce