Zafar Asghar advises on aircraft finance, acquisition, and leasing transactions representing US and international financial institutions, leasing companies, financing-arms of airframe and engine manufacturers, hedge and private equity funds, and new and emerging market carriers.
As a member of the Aviation Finance and Leasing group, Mr. Asghar has earned a reputation in the industry as an efficient results-oriented practitioner with a broad range of experience leading cross-border commercial aircraft acquisition, leasing, and financing transactions including secured term, revolving and warehouse financings, tax-based leveraged leasing, PDP financings, portfolio securitizations, export credit-supported financings, JOLCOs, and private placements.
- European private equity fund, as lender in the $80m term and revolving loan financing of 16 small-body commercial aircraft on lease to 8 international carriers.
- Major investment bank in its acquisition of a portfolio of aircraft loans with respect to 26 commercial aircraft leased to 6 carriers, and as depositor and initial purchaser in the securitization of such aircraft loans.
- Foreign carrier in its sale of 6 A319 aircraft to US carrier, and payoff and release of ECA supported financings.
- Syndicate of lenders under a $950m warehouse facility, financing 70 plus commercial aircraft on lease to international carriers in more than 20 countries.
- New York-based private equity fund, as equity provider in the asset-backed securitization of a portfolio of commercial aircraft sold by an Asian lessor.
- Major financial institution, as senior lender in the financing of three 777-300ER aircraft under a $185m term loan facility.
- US-based hedge fund in the ownership, management, and leasing of a portfolio of commercial aircraft to international carriers.
- LLM, Fordham University School of Law, 1997
- LLB, University of Kent at Canterbury, England, 1996
- New York
- Member, New York State Bar Association